Monday, May 3, 2010

Ask Not, Tell Not


Considering the issue of dying for my country as raised by Nick:

I just literally can't think of a scenario where my death would make a difference for my whole country. It would have to be a really complicated situation where I was like James Bond and they wired my heart into the biggest nuclear bomb ever and if my heart beat one or two or three more times the bomb would detonate and take out not only the state of Ohio but the whole East coast and continue west over the Mississippi and on over the Rockies destroying the entire West coast. And Alaska. And Hawaii.

I don't know. Seems pretty far-fetched. But yes, I'd be honored to die for my country if it came down to all that.

2 comments:

ChefNick said...

I've been reading a couple of books about militaria and they're classics, written by soldiers who fought in the worst battles anywhere, but their conclusions were always the same: it was a colossal waste of life for what ended up solving nothing.

If someone had really wanted WWII to stop, they would have devised every means necessary to kill Hitler rather than sentencing millions of people to death.

Just please don't tell me that all the finest military minds on Earth couldn't come up with a way to do that.

But that's just what they did.

There is no way I would die for anyone on Earth except my family. No way.

But what is that IBM picture? Atoms?

Qaro said...

I don't believe in war. A lot of people must though. Idiots.

The picture is "Atomic Bond". : )