Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cool Tools

Here are three apps that are handy and interesting:

Google Desktop: A program that runs in the background and indexes the files on your computer so you can search it just like the web. It indexes files, web browsing and emails.
Why you might like it: It's helpful for finding things like words in files, things you remember you read but not where. It's much faster than Windows search. It's useful as a timeline. You can tell exactly how long you worked on what. It's an easy way to keep track of the kids activities online. Why it might be annoying: It can slow down an old computer. It's not good at searching for numbers. You can download it here.

Bloglines: A website that tracks feeds of blogs or any site with an RSS feed. Why you might like it: It's handy for seeing at a glance which blogs you follow have new posts, so you don't have to go to them every day to see if there's anything new. Why it might be annoying: Some sites post multiple times a day and it can get out of hand. You can check it out here.

Del.icio.us: A social-networking website where you can store your links. Why you might like it: You can add tags to your links to categorize them easily. You can see other users who have saved the same links and view their links to see what else they've got. You can add other users to your network to create a whole network of interesting people to share links with. Why it might be annoying: It's addicting! You can sign up here.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Since you are familiar with the rabbit hole, if you don't already have it, I recommend StumbleUpon. You add it onto your web browser tool bar, set your prefrences and hit the button...it takes you to some very interesting and time wasting sites ;)

http://www.stumbleupon.com/

Qaro said...

Oh, gosh, thanks!

Now, _there's_ a rabbit hole!

sgreerpitt said...

Oh, dear, Jessica -- just what I need (not!). Qaro, thanks for the reviews -- now I know what it is that little Google Desktop Icon is actually doing -- and why when I do Google searches I get results from my own computer! I think I must be a little dense at times!
sue

Jessica said...

I have spent many late nights on StumbleUpon....going from website to website, knowing that I have to get up in a few hours...but dang it! I HAVE to see what's next!

Google desktop is really amazing. What I love about it is that I can sign in on any computer and access my saved bookmarks...which of course...are sorted by topic or class..that was an entirely seperate rabbit hole. :)

Qaro said...

I need to figure out how to dial in StumbleUpon. It thinks I really like flash games and keeps throwing flash games at me. I don't _not_ like flash games... Is there more to it?

I like del.icio.us because I know what I'm in for. It's fun being subscribed to "archaeology guy", "K-12 Music lady", "Mumbai Mathemetician", etc. (My nicknames, not theirs.)