Thursday, July 22, 2010

Are Too, Me Too

Had quite a busy day yesterday. Worked late, met some girlfriends for coffee, went to see my Dad (who finally got his trach out again : ) and went to the grocery store.

At the grocery store two employees were stocking items. One was putting away frozen and the other was doing lunch meat I think. I overheard some of their conversation:

1st Lady: You know I have diabetes.

2nd Lady: Me too.

1st Lady: But I don't take shots, I manage it with diet.

2nd Lady: I don't take shots either, but I take {garbled}.

1st Lady: I take that too. But my doctor says if it continues to get worse, I will need insulin shots.

2nd Lady: Me too. My doctor said I will too if I'm not careful...

I thought that was pretty funny. Not that they have diabetes, which is a shame, just the way they were talking, trying to outdo each other by me-tooing each other. Okay, wow, that's not even funny at all, now that it's typed out. Maybe it was the timing? It's all in the timing. As in, it's 10 o'clock at night and I'm bushed and loopy.

Anyway, this made me think of the way women identify with each other. Any pet peeve, they totally know! It bugs them too, we are so alike. My husband drives me nuts... I know, mine drives me nuts too, if I see his socks on the chair one more time, grr!

It feels nice to get some support and she's being a good friend and you have a good friend and you feel better for a while. But I think sometimes it can backfire. Women encourage each other to accept things. We give each other reassurance. Tips on how to make do.

Status Quo Police. (No particular emphasis. I just like how it sounds like "Quid pro quo, Clarice..." : )

They are so ready to be there for you. "I would come down a dark alley just to be there for you!" Not "Hey, you know, this is a dark alley and it's midnight and there's something in the shadows... Why are we here again?"

My friend mentioned that she really didn't want to do {extremely unpleasant chore} with her husband and he should handle it without her. But I didn't miss a beat in throwing out 4 different reasons why it would actually be a good thing for her to do it with him. How it would actually be in her best interests to just do it. ...Wait, what did I just do? I told her later I was sorry that I gave her bad advice. She didn't have to want to do something she didn't want to. If she didn't like something she had every right to just not like it.

No comments: