Saturday, July 10, 2010

And Your Bird Can Sing

Just got home from going out to karaoke with some friends from High School. I had so much fun. It is so much more fun to be out with people instead of out by myself. Nobody hit on me at all, even though I look perfectly fine. So much better than fending off drunks or the strategy I discovered last time I went, about a year ago, which is to gather a cadre of old men. You have very nice interesting people to talk to and they keep each other at bay. And you can thank them for the conversation and leave no problem and yet everyone still had a successful evening. It's nice.

I am kind of wired because I had 7 or 8 cups of Diet Coke. : )

I didn't spend a dime because the waitress gave me pop for free. Well, I did leave her a $3 tip which is what I had. She never broke my $20.

Here are the songs I sang:

Carole King - So Far Away -- My warm-up song


Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love -- Managed to hold the final note all the way! wOOt! : )


Tommy Petty - Refugee -- This was my absolute favorite. I got an idea to sing this like Stevie Nicks and it turned out so good! People could tell what I was doing and liked it! I was so happy with it!

Lita Ford & Ozzy Osbourne - If I close my eyes forever -- This was DJ's idea for a duet and I did so badly he had to sing my part in my ear for me to know what to do. Turns out I didn't remember the song at all! : ) I try to avoid unrehearsed duets as much as possible. They hardly ever go well. Well enough anyway. Even though it sucks all you can do is pretend to be happy and thank the other person for singing with you and tell them how good they did, because usually they did do well. I am the weak, weak link.

Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools -- Tore the roof off the sucker.

Janis Joplin - Bobby McGee -- Was transported to my own little Janis Joplin world. Had the place to myself. : )

Wow I almost forgot I could sing like that. But I didn't forget how! But one thing that happens when you go out with singers is they don't care as much. My friends didn't pay as much attention as a table full of rockers in front of them who had things like tattoos and huge earrings and nose rings. There was a guy named Spider who looked like Perry Farrell. They just sat there with rapt attention. It was so neat to impress rockers!

Okay, maybe I'm getting tired now. Maybe I'll do some Sudoku to get sleepy. Goodnight! : )

(Maybe I'll be back tomorrow morning in the afternoon.)

2 comments:

sgreerpitt said...

what a wonderful evening -- lots of great songs!

Qaro said...

Thanks!