Tuesday, September 4, 2007

3 Dollars

Found this article here: http://theologica.blogspot.com/2007/08/3-worth-of-gospel-please.html and I'll quote it below:

"From D. A. Carson's Basics for Believers: An Exposition of Philippians:
I would like to buy about three dollars worth of gospel, please.Not too much – just enough to make me happy, but not so much that I get addicted.I don’t want so much gospel that I learn to really hate covetousness and lust.I certainly don’t want so much that I start to love my enemies, cherish self-denial, and contemplate missionary service in some alien culture.I want ecstasy, not repentance;I want transcendence, not transformation.I would like to be cherished by some nice, forgiving, broad-minded people, but I myself don’t want to love those from different races – especially if they smell.I would like enough gospel to make my family secure and my children well behaved, but not so much that I find my ambitions redirected or my giving too greatly enlarged.I would like about three dollars worth of the gospel, please. (pp. 12-13)"

And I was touched and all... But, there are too many clues... This is not the chronicle of a man's own doubts. This is not the realization, "I've made a mistake, these are the wrong thoughts I was thinking." This is a parody. Who is it about? I don't know this writer, but is a person supposed to agree that they can go into a place with enough language to get the message across and have done a good job, but then when it comes to their neighbor, the neighbor doesn't stack up?

No comments: